Unison Houses, Businesses, and Churches
The buildings and residences of Unison past
"the Langcor House"
Situated next to Glatton Folly on the main Unison road, this ca. 1830 dwelling was formerly the home of Charles Osbourne,
a postmaster and saddlemaker. Charles Osbourne purchased the property at
public auction in 1904, the same year he was named postmaster of Unison. Osbourne may have been enticed
by the newspaper advertisement that offered the lot of about 3/4 of an acre and ...
"...a good Frame House containing eleven rooms with garret and cellar, good frame stable and carriage house, hen house,
a filtered cemented cistern and other outbuildings. There are also a lot of fruit trees on the premises in good bearing condition."
During Osborne's residence in Unison the famous Osborne fox hunting saddle was produced and sold for about $25from the late 1890s until his death in 1925.
The stuccoed 2-story gable-roofed dwelling features a gable roof of standing-seam metal, 2 interior-end brick flues, gable-end returns, two front doors, 2/2 windows,
and a modern 3-bay front porch with square posts. Attached to the main house is a diminutive 3-bay log house with interior-end brick flue. It is uncertain which section is earlier,
but it appears that
the two parts of the house were constructed fairly close to each other sometime during the first half of the 19th century.
The log section appears to have been used for commercial purposes. Both sections have undergone a fair amount of alteration since Osbourne's time.
Description excerpts from the
National Park Service OMB No. 1024-0018.
Photos courtesy of F. Hillman