Unison Houses, Businesses, and Churches
The buildings and residences of Unison past
"Henry Evans House"
This home is ca. 1815. It is believed that Henry Evans constructed this house shortly
after he acquired the lot from Samuel Dunkin in 1815.
Built as a small 2-story, 3-bay, brick
(currently overlaid with stucco), gable-roofed Federal-style dwelling, it
featured 6/6 windows, mousetooth cornice, and 2 interior-end chimneys.
To the rear is a 1-story shed-roofed modern wing.
According to an architectural survey conducted in 1982 by David Edwards,
this building was not covered in stucco at that time and had exposed Flemish bond
on the front and 5-course American bond on the sides and rear, and flared brick jack arches.
A ca. 1900 photograph of the house shows it once had a late-nineteenth-century,
two-story frame store attached to its east end. This was one of two stores operating in Unison during the last
decades of the nineteenth century, and was owned and managed by Lycurgus Hutchinson in around 1895. The store was also the local
Post Office for Unison. In later years the store was owned and operated by Thomas A. Baker. At one time there was a road to the side of the store that headed towards the
back of the store, and also the field behind the village. That road is now gone. It is unknown when the store was torn down, but all that remains in the
21st century is the foundation footprint next to the still standing house.
Description excerpts from the
National Park Service OMB No. 1024-0018.
Color photo courtesy of F. Hillman; 1895 photo courtesy of C. Eldridge