Unison Houses, Businesses, and Churches
The buildings and residences of Unison past
Butterland is an early 19th century two-story stone dwelling that was constructed in at least three phases, the earliest of which is the large two-story,
three-bay central portion with a semi-exterior-end chimney on one end and an interior-end chimney on the other. It is believed that
this was the home of William Galliherís son William Jr.
The side, two-bay, two-story wing with exterior-end stone chimney was added shortly after and currently features a
one-bay pedimented portico and stucco scored to look like ashlar. When this section was built, the house would have had two front doors,
perhaps indicating another use for the side wing. Later the original front door was removed and replaced with a window, and the front of the house
hedged in with greenery. The photo above shows the current entry which faces the stable and pasture behind the property.
During the late nineteenth century was the home of Dr. Hoge, a well-known local physician. During that time
additions were made to the rear wing of the house. Historic photographs show Dr. Hoge's office once sat right along the road.
It was moved to its current location in the southeast rear yard in the twentieth century.
Description excerpts from the
National Park Service OMB No. 1024-0018.
Photos courtesy of F. Hillman